Status of this forum...

All general announcements/updates/etc. should be posted here.

Status of this forum...

Postby BobKilner » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:17 pm

So, I've been thinking a lot about this lately, and Tom and I had a good discussion about it this evening.

On a personal / time / financial level, I don't really have a desire to run this board anymore. I come on here maybe once per week, its very inactive besides announcements and results and frankly, with the tremendous expansion of social media over the last decade, I don't really see the purpose of it at this point.

I thought that everything expired in February, so I was planning on waiting until the first of the year to put this out there, but I realized this evening while (unsuccessfully) trying to upgrade it to a newer version of phpbb3, that the hosting expires on Monday 12/2. The hosting is $9.99 a month through Godaddy or $120 for the year. I'm tired of eating that cost every year, for a forum that appears to be slowly dying.

I am planning on letting it lapse on Tuesday unless someone wants to take it over, at which point I will transfer the domain over to whoever through Godaddy. If someone does want to take it over, I can show them how the administration control panel works so they can do all the day to day stuff and I will just be a member.

I've enjoyed being a part of this and the original forum (Lowellville is sweet... discuss), but its time for someone to take it over who can keep up with it and maybe get it jumping again like it was in the late 2000s.

If you're interested, please let me know ASAP so we can take care of it.

Thank you for something like 13 years of fun discussions and lots of yelling at Tom for various things.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Re: Status of this forum...

Postby tomoore » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:24 pm

BobKilner wrote:that the hosting expires on Tuesday 12/2.

Ask Santa for a 2019 calendar.
Moore, T;

reader, Southeast Region and statewide (2015-present);
ex-player, William V. Fisher Catholic HS... allegedly (2010-2014);
tomoore
Junior Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:27 pm

tomoore wrote:
BobKilner wrote:that the hosting expires on Tuesday 12/2.

Ask Santa for a 2019 calendar.

Fixed.
Bob Kilner
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby BobKilner » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:47 am

I have talked to Josh Queen this morning and he has agreed to take over the forum. I will be passing on the domain to him this evening, along with some instruction on how to administer it. I thank all of you for everything you do for Ohio quizbowl. This wasn't an easy decision, but as I'm trying to get some extraneous things off my plate, this is extremely helpful to me.
Bob Kilner
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby tcld » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:00 pm

Thank you for running it all these years and thanks to Josh for taking it over. I have found this board to be extremely helpful. Part of that may be I am starting to enter my "old man phase" (get those kids out of my yard!) and don't do much social media. Boards are in my wheelhouse. The national board can be a rabbit hole that I try to avoid so I appreciate this even if it is not used as much as the past.
Leonard Donaldson
TCQB
inspirational/s.a. comment goes here
tcld
Rookie

Return to General Announcements