TRASH '19 at Olmsted Falls HS - 12/21 - DATE CHANGED

All tournament announcements should go here. Please place the name, date and location of the tournament in the title.

TRASH '19 at Olmsted Falls HS - 12/21 - DATE CHANGED

Postby BobKilner » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:17 pm

Dear quizbowl / academic challenge / In the Know advisors,

Erin McCreery, Alexandra Flanigan, the Olmsted Falls Academic Team and I would like to invite your teams to the annual TRASH, all-pop culture tournament at Olmsted Falls High School on Saturday, December 21, 2019. (DATE CHANGED TO 12-21!)

TRASH questions are taken from the areas of movies, tv, music, sports, games, computers, video games, etc., anything not really considered "academic."

Mirrors:

**DAYTON AREA - Tippecanoe High School in Tipp City - December 14. The contact for that tournament is Joe Bellas (jrbellas@tippcity.k12.oh.us).

**NW OHIO - Swanton High School on December 7. The contact for that tournament is Greg Bossick (quizboss@att.net).

**ASHTABULA AREA - Lakeside High School on December 7th. The contact for that tournament is Ed Gallatin (edwin.gallatin@aacs.net).

**I am always looking for additional mirror sites - If you are interested, please let me know**

We’ve always had between 36-64 teams for this event, so early registration is always a wise idea. Please do not register a certain number of teams and bring less than you have registered or not show up at all. That’s extremely frustrating to tournament planners and causes all kinds of chaos on tournament morning.

Our plan like last year, is to have brackets of six play five preliminary rounds, followed by rebracketing into a single elimination championship bracket and a single elimination consolation bracket. The exact format of those brackets will be determined once we know how many teams we will have. The matches will be tossup/bonus (NAQT) format, 20 questions per round. Based on the bracketing and playoffs, each team will be guaranteed 6 games.

We will NOT be keeping individual stats. We eliminated them a few years back in an attempt to minimize the delay between the end of the preliminary rounds and the playoff announcements (it saved about an hour worth of time). The champion and runner-up teams in each tournament will receive trashy prizes for their trophy cases.

The cost for this year's tournament is $60 per team with a $5 discount per buzzer set (no limit). There is no JV division, all teams will play in the varsity division. That said, many times teams that are dynamite at regular quizbowl are awful at TRASH and vice versa, so it really can't be predicted how a team will do that hasn't played in the past. All registrations come with a copy of the questions, emailed out once all mirrors are complete. Remember, nobody wants to play slap bowl, so bringing buzzers and receiving your discount is also a wise idea.

IF YOU BRING MORE THAN 1 TEAM, YOU ARE REQUIRED TO BRING AN EXPERIENCED READER TO HELP MODERATE MATCHES. If you are a coach and do not have a reader available, then you will have to list yourself as the reader.

Because we are having the tournament the first weekend in December and not the second or third weekend, we will be missing out on a lot of former players that are now in college who typically help with reading. We will still have several of our own readers available, but we do not have the staff to cover all of the rooms necessary. If you have players that don't want to play trash, but are competent readers, by all means bring them and list them as your reader.

****MIDDLE SCHOOL TEAMS ARE WELCOME, BUT THEY WILL PLAY IN THE SAME DIVISIONS WITH THE HIGH SCHOOL TEAMS (we've had them before and they've done well at times too!)

*If you haven’t participated before or not in awhile, you can email me for a set of old questions for practice at theamazingbobbo@aol.com

The general schedule will be:
8-8:30 Registration
8:45- General Meeting
9am - Round 1 starts
11:45ish-12:15 - Lunch - ON SITE – Lunch will be provided on-site for a low cost. You DO NOT have time to leave, so please bring money to purchase lunch or feel free to pack a lunch. We will make sure to give enough time for everyone to get their lunch and eat. Feel free to pack a lunch as well.
12:30 - Playoff announcement and start of playoffs.
1pm - Playoff round 2 and consolation rounds
1:30pm - Playoff round 3
2pm - Semifinals
2:30pm - Finals

**Please note: schedule is tentative. This is a best-case scenario schedule. We've solved some of the issues that have plagued us in the past, but usually the finals tend to finish around 4pm with delays during the day.

As you can see from the schedule above -- registration runs until 8:30 with the meeting shortly thereafter. WE WILL NOT WAIT FOR YOU! Unless there's some unforeseen disaster (a blizzard the night before, a fender bender, etc), we will be starting play at 9am, so plan accordingly to be at Olmsted Falls HIGH School by 8:30 at the latest.

Please note: You CANNOT use this tournament as a qualifier for OAC Regionals.

Please make the check out to "Olmsted Falls Academic Team" and mail to:

Erin McCreery
c/o Olmsted Falls High School
26939 Bagley Rd
Olmsted Falls, OH 44138

If you need a phone number for your PO, you can use (216) 534-1053. Checks should be mailed ahead of time or brought the day of the tournament.

Also, payment via check or cash on the day of the tournament is acceptable, and invoices can be provided for those that take this option.

Please email me at theamazingbobbo@aol.com with your # of teams, # of buzzers and name of an experienced reader or reader(s) you can bring. If you need an invoice, email Erin at emccreery@ofcs.net.

WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING EVERYONE IN BEAUTIFUL OLMSTED FALLS!

Bob Kilner, Erin McCreery, Alexandra Flanigan and the Olmsted Falls Academic Team
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Re: TRASH '19 at Olmsted Falls High School - 12/7/19

Postby BobKilner » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:22 pm

Teams:
St. Edward 2
OHVA 2
Olmsted Falls 2
Highland (Morrow County) 2
Southeast 2
Beachwood 2
Streetsboro 2
James A Garfield 2
Brecksville-Broadview Heights 2
Labrae 2
Firestone 1
Garfield Hts. 1
St. Hilary MS 1
Brush 5
Fairport 1

Buzzers:
Kilner 3
Olmsted Falls 2
St. Edward 2
Highland 1
Streetsboro 1
JAG 2
BBHHS 1
Firestone 1
Southeast 1
Brush 3
Fairport 2

Readers:
Bob Kilner
Eric Wolske
Nick Tabar
Alec Sims
Danny Doherty/Jake Dahlinger
Joey Calabrase
Molly McCafferty
Zach Buchta
Isaac Rivera
David Graham
Bennett Graham
Sandra/Mr. Graham
Bradley Smith (Highland)
Ashley Ventura (St. Eds)
Molly Klodor (Streetsboro)
Iva Walker (JAG)
Christine Bartzis (BBHHS)
Elizabeth Paster (Labrae)
Firestone Reader
Bob Kilner
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
BobKilner
Site Admin

Re: TRASH '19 at Olmsted Falls HS - 12/21 - DATE CHANGED

Postby BobKilner » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:07 pm

Due to conflicts with other events at Olmsted Falls HS and MS, the date of this event has been changed to 12/21. The mirrors will still go off on the same day as previously announced.
Bob Kilner
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby BobKilner » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:51 pm

Still lots of room. Registrations have been way slow this year. Email me at bk31883 <at> google's email service to register.
Bob Kilner
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby BobKilner » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:12 pm

We're basically full at 30 - I'm just waiting on James A. Garfield to confirm their second team. If I get two more teams, I'll switch back to 8 team brackets and go to 32, but I'm not going beyond that. Questions went over pretty well in the Swanton and Ashtabula mirrors other than one question that I accidentally put in two packets. That has been fixed. Looking forward to seeing how it goes at Tipp this weekend before our event on the 21st. Chicago, Youngstown and maybe a Cincy mirror in January. Virginia later on in the year.

I'm amazed what this has grown to, just wish I didn't have to write 9 packets myself. The future of it right now is 50-50. Hopefully I can find some more writers for ensuing years.
Bob Kilner
BobKilner
Site Admin

Return to Tournament Announcements