PettiWarz V (NEWT) :: 5 March 2022

All tournament announcements should go here. Please place the name, date and location of the tournament in the title.

PettiWarz V (NEWT) :: 5 March 2022

Postby QuizBoss » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:58 pm

Hello coaches and friends of academic competition,

In cooperation with the Pettisville quiz team and its coaches, I'm proud to announce PettiWarz V, an invitational tournament taking place on Saturday, March 5. Teams are asked to arrive by 8:30 AM. The opening meeting will immediately follow with the first round starting at 9:00.

The tournament will be played on the New Enterprising Writers Tournament (NEWT); more information on that set is available at https://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25236. This will lock out teams from events that have already used, or will be in the process of using, those questions from this tournament. Entry fees for this tournament are $90 per team. Discounts for working buzzers (-$5) and readers ($-10) are available.

The field cap for this event will initially be 24 teams. Registration is done directly with me. Let me know how many teams, buzzers, and readers you will be bringing. Invoices will go out starting approximately one month before the tournament. If you need me to provide your district a W-9 form, I can definitely do that.

Pettisville's team will be selling concessions with a meal deal available, but more information will come closer to the date.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you might have about the rules, format, or any other aspect of the tournament.
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Re: PettiWarz V (NEWT) :: 5 March 2022

Postby BobKilner » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:25 pm

Do you anticipate any cancellations due to Ebola fears?
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby ThePocketProtector » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:09 am

That is never going to get old.
Joshua Queen
No longer a coach
Runner of FAC Quiz Bowl League
Freelance runner of quiz bowl tournaments
At Large OAC Committee Member.
ThePocketProtector
Varsity

Postby QuizBoss » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:45 pm

Not at this time, though the field may be smaller than expected due in part to fears of wind turbine cancer.

(/s, of course)
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Postby tomoore » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:43 am

BobKilner wrote:Do you anticipate any cancellations due to Ebola fears?

ThePocketProtector wrote:That is never going to get old.

Goodness.

I remember driving down to Chillicothe to help with the inaugural Cavalier Classic that morning. Stopped to get breakfast at the Circleville Tim's, get back onto U.S. 23 south... and I can't remember who called who first, but I was on the phone with Greg that morning as I was driving.

"Good morning, Greg!"

[Greg replies with pleasantries]

"So, how's your morning going?"

[Greg proceeds to tell me that a certain Youngstown area school has cancelled due to fears of Ebola]

Through the obvious tragicomic dimensions of that utterance, and its implications on the tournament at-hand Greg was responsible for suddenly having to un-screw up due to the unceremonious eleventh hour cancellation, I looked off in the distance on the barren southern Pickaway County horizon and immediately saw a flock of starlings dart northeasterly. Unsure of what they were doing, let alone their motivation, but I'm inclined to think it was a facepalm of supersonic proportion that spanned 200 miles south and thus attracted aviation.
Moore, T;

reader, Southeast Region and statewide (2015-present);
ex-player, William V. Fisher Catholic HS... allegedly (2010-2014);
tomoore
Junior Varsity

Return to Tournament Announcements